Hair removal is a hassle for most people desiring silky smooth skin. If you have ever felt insecure or self-conscious about unwanted body and facial hair, you may be familiar with the ongoing struggle of shaving, waxing, plucking, and using various creams just to feel more comfortable in your appearance. While these can offer a temporary solution, the hair keeps growing back if the hair follicles remain active. Not only that, but these methods can cause nicks, cuts, burns, and ingrown hairs, leaving behind razor bumps and scars, or even causing skin infections.
At Allegro Medspa, you can confidently say goodbye to unwanted hair with our laser hair removal treatments. Our lasers contain an advanced combination of Nd:YAG and Alexandrite wavelengths that target the hair follicles while leaving your skin completely unharmed. We have customizable treatments that can be tailored to your unique skin tone and hair color. To find out more about our technology, contact our practice in Santa Rosa, CA at (707) 537-2123 or fill out our contact form requesting a consultation with a skincare specialist. A member of our team will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.
Before and After Photos
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 Laser Hair Reduction: A Fast, Pain-Free Alternative
- 3 Benefits of Hair Removal
- 4 Personal Consultation
- 5 How to Prepare for Laser Hair Removal
- 6 Treatment Steps
- 7 Recovery and Results
- 8 Cost of Laser Hair Removal in Santa Rosa, CA
- 9 FAQ
- 10 References
- 11 Schedule an Appointment
Laser Hair Reduction: A Fast, Pain-Free Alternative
Laser hair reduction has advanced immensely over the past 5 years. The lasers we have at Allegro MedSpa are fast and completely pain-free. They have a built-in cooling technology with a larger spot size so that treatment is over before you know it! Patients who have undergone laser hair reduction before are amazed by how quick and easy the process is compared to their previous treatments.
Laser light energy is measured in wavelengths that determine the length of each unit of light. Laser devices can have 1 or more wavelength settings; many are designed to be compatible with certain skin and hair colors. For example, devices that emit longer wavelengths produce the best results for patients with darker skin; they are designed to prevent the risk of hypopigmentation, which is unwanted lightening. (1) As a type of thermal energy, laser light for hair removal targets melanin within the hair follicles, a pigment that determines hair color. As these pigments absorb the energy, it is transferred to the hair matrix which contains tiny structures that produce hair shafts, including keratinocyte cells that produce the hair itself. As a result, the hair grows back finer and wispier and/or the hair matrix can’t produce it at all. (2)
Hair grows through a growth cycle that includes telogen (a resting phase) and anagen (active growth) phases. Hair follicles must be in their anagen phase for the laser to affect the growth. That is why multiple treatments are necessary, as only a portion of the hair follicles are in the anagen phase at any given time.
You can get rid of unwanted hair in a multitude of places, including the following:
- Bikini Area
- Toes and Hands
Benefits of Hair Removal
Prospective patients considering a series of treatments here at Allegro Medspa should consider the variety of benefits that professional treatment can offer them:
- In-clinic treatments tend to be safer and much more effective than at-home treatments. (3)
- You will not require downtime from work or your daily activities.
- Topical numbing cream makes the procedure much more comfortable.
- Our lasers administer both shorter and longer light wavelengths for a more customizable treatment.
- You will be able to enjoy your results for many years to come. (4)
When you schedule a personal consultation with one of our laser specialists, you can expect to get quality information on the procedure that will allow you to make an educated decision. They will assess your treatment areas and provide you with an estimate of how many sessions it will take to achieve your desired results. During this consultation, they will be able to answer any questions and clarify any concerns you may have concerning safety, preparation, or skin care in general. To get started, contact Allegro Medspa in Santa Rosa, CA by calling (707) 537-2123 or by inquiring online, and one of our specialists will assist you promptly.
The Fitzpatrick Scale
During your consultation, your specialist will determine your skin tone according to the Fitzpatrick Scale. They will use this scale to categorize your skin type and design a treatment plan that won’t harm your skin.
- Type 1 skin is the palest and most vulnerable to sunburns.
- Type II skin is also pale, but it can occasionally tan.
- Type III skin tans quite easily and it is slightly darker than type II.
- Type IV is olive-toned skin that rarely gets burnt.
- Type V is brown skin that rarely gets burnt.
- Type VI skin is dark brown and never experiences sunburn.
How to Prepare for Laser Hair Removal
To best prepare for this procedure, you will need to follow these general guidelines and any others that your laser specialist may require from you:
- Apply a daily sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 or more. Any UV damage from the sun can make you more susceptible to damage from laser light.
- Avoid hair removal methods that remove the entire hair shaft, like waxing or tweezing. The laser may not be able to effectively target follicles that don’t have melanin.
- Don’t bleach the treatment area– very light hair is often difficult for the laser to target, and it will require more sessions.
- Some medications and supplements can make you more sensitive to laser light, so be sure to talk with your specialist beforehand.
- Let your specialist know if you have ever experienced a viral outbreak on the skin of your treatment area. They will recommend an antiviral medication to prevent the risk of a future outbreak.
- Before your session, shave the treatment area so the light pulses can access the hair follicle pores easily. After shaving, do not apply any lotions or creams. We recommend arriving in comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that won’t irritate the skin once your procedure is finished.
- Consult your laser specialist about when you should stop taking blood thinning medications; these can increase your risk of bruising.
First, a laser professional at Allegro Medspa will cleanse the treatment area and apply a cool numbing cream. If you are especially concerned about discomfort, they can apply topical anesthesia. If you choose topical anesthesia cream, you will need to wait 30 to 45 minutes for it to settle into your skin and take effect.
Next, your specialist will place protective eyewear to shield your eyes from the harsh light of the laser device. They will begin by placing the laser’s window directly over your skin and applying one pulse before moving to the adjacent area. If you have a relatively small treatment area, the procedure will only take a few minutes. Larger areas can take up to an hour.
Recovery and Results
It’s normal to feel irritation and redness similar to a sunburn after laser hair removal, so you should avoid activities that can further aggravate your side effects. Though you will be able to resume your routine as usual, you should avoid sun exposure, strenuous activities, and showering for about 24 hours. Your specialist will advise you to apply an anti-inflammatory cream or a cold compress to the treatment area. The side effects will gradually decrease over the next day.
Over the next few days, you should keep the area clean and well-protected with sunscreen. You may see some hair reduction after the first session, but it typically takes several sessions before you see a significant reduction. Research recommends that 4 to 6 sessions with a 4-week break in between each one is the most effective treatment plan. (2)
Cost of Laser Hair Removal in Santa Rosa, CA
The total cost of your treatment will depend on the size of your treatment area, the number of sessions you will require, and the results you would like to attain. Because Allegro Medspa strives to be transparent regarding pricing, your laser technician will give you a cost estimate at the time of your consultation.
Get in touch with our office today by dialing (707) 537-2123 or by reaching out via our online form. Our trained professionals are here to help you achieve glowing, radiant skin that you can feel confident in. To learn more about other procedures Allegro Medspa offers, consider reading through our blog.
Is laser hair removal permanent?
Laser can provide permanent hair reduction, but it will not be able to target and eliminate every hair follicle. Patients who get satisfying results after completing their sessions will likely require a couple of maintenance sessions every year.
Are at-home lasers laser hair removal devices as effective as in-clinic lasers?
At-home lasers are less effective because they typically apply lower-level pulses, so you will have to be extremely consistent to get the same results. Consulting a professional will allow you to get a more customized treatment that takes into account your skin tone and the most efficient laser wavelength. A professional will also know how to take the proper precautions to prevent a laser burn.
Does laser hair removal work for people with blonde hair?
Today’s lasers are capable of targeting hair of various colors, including very light blonde hair. However, it will likely require more treatment sessions than what is required for darker hair.
- Ross Edward V, Domankevitz Y. Hair Removal With Blended 755/1064 nm Laser Energy. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. 2021;53(8):1020-1025. doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.23381
- Tanvi Vaidya, Dinesh Kumar D. Laser Hair Removal. Nih.gov. Published June 2, 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507861/
- Hendricks K, Celenkosini Thembelenkosini Nxumalo, Makgobole MU, Ghuman S, Jacobs D, Nomakhosi Mpofana. Evaluating the effectiveness of laser hair reduction using a home use laser in comparison to a Diode laser. PLoS One. 2023;18(5):e0286162-e0286162. doi:https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0286162
- Russe E, Purschke M, Herold M, Sakamoto FH, Wechselberger G, Russe‐Wilflingseder K. Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy of Laser Hair Removal With the Long‐Pulsed 755 nm Wavelength Laser: A Two‐Center Study With 948 Patients. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. 2019;52(1):77-83. doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.23160
Schedule an Appointment
Get Rid of Unwanted Hair
Ready to live without shaving, plucking, waxing, and tweezing? Schedule a consultation with our team of specialists to learn more about how we can help.