Semaglutide is a new, groundbreaking weight loss medication that has been approved by the FDA for patients who struggle with obesity or excess weight. It works by mimicking the hormone GLP-1, which helps to regulate blood sugar and appetite. Semaglutide has been shown to be highly effective in clinical trials, with patients losing between 10-15% of their body weight. (1) As the latest, most popular treatment with celebrities, Semaglutide has taken Hollywood by storm. And, it’s rapidly becoming one of the most popular ways for the non-celebrities among us to lose weight safely and effectively.
At Allegro Med Spa, our team will work with you to develop a personalized plan that includes diet, exercise, and Semaglutide to help you achieve your weight loss goals. We understand that every patient is unique, and we take a holistic approach to weight loss that addresses the underlying factors that contribute to excess weight.
We believe that everyone deserves to look and feel great and we are committed to helping our patients achieve their goals. If you are interested in Semaglutide, schedule a consultation at our Santa Rosa office. You can call us at (707) 537-2111 or complete an inquiry form to learn more about our services.
Interested in our services? Read more about them on our blog.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About Semaglutide
- 3 Benefits of Semaglutide
- 4 Candidates
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparation
- 7 Administering Semaglutide
- 8 Cost of Semaglutide in Santa Rosa
- 9 FAQ
- 10 References
Before and After Photos
Semaglutide is a type of medication that belongs to the GLP-1 receptor agonist class. It is used to control blood sugar levels in patients with Type 2 diabetes, but in 2021, the FDA approved it for long-term weight management. (2) The medication is administered through subcutaneous injection and has shown promising results in clinical trials for its efficacy in weight loss and cardiovascular disease prevention. It has also been shown to reduce insulin resistance, a condition that causes cells to be inefficient in their use of this key hormone.
How Does Semaglutide Work?
Insulin is a hormone produced by the body that regulates the body’s use of sugar (glucose). One of the main ways that Semaglutide works is by stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin when it is needed. This occurs when blood sugar is too high. Semaglutide also promotes satiety and regulates appetite, which contributes to a patient’s ability to lose weight.
Clinical trials have shown that Semaglutide can lower A1C levels, a key indicator of blood sugar control, by up to 1.4%. (3) Additionally, studies have demonstrated a reduction in the risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attacks and strokes, making it an attractive option for patients with obesity and insulin resistance.
Does Semaglutide Have Any Side Effects?
While semaglutide has been proven to be effective at controlling blood sugar levels, it is not without side effects. Gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and abdominal pain are common during treatment. Patients should also be monitored for changes in kidney and liver function levels, hemoglobin levels, and glucose metabolism.
It is important to note that proper dosing and careful monitoring are crucial when using Semaglutide. As with any medication, there can be adverse reactions, including hypoglycemia, which can be dangerous if not managed properly. At Allegro MedSpa, we conduct weekly monitoring of weight loss and side effects, adjusting dosage based on the individual’s response to treatment. During this meeting, we determine if the patient should stay at their current dose, or increase their dose based on their current experience with Semaglutide.
Benefits of Semaglutide
Here are some of the benefits you may experience with Semaglutide:
At Allegro Med Spa, we will work with you to determine if Semaglutide is the right medication for your needs. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about the benefits of Semaglutide.
- Lowered blood sugar levels: Semaglutide is an effective treatment for people who have type 2 diabetes. It helps regulate blood sugar levels by increasing insulin secretion, reducing glucagon production, and slowing down the digestion process.
- Weight loss: Semaglutide has been shown to help people lose weight by suppressing appetite and reducing caloric intake. This medication can help people achieve their weight loss goals when combined with a healthy diet and exercise routine.
- Reduced cardiovascular risks: Semaglutide has been found to reduce the risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attacks, strokes, and coronary artery disease. This medication can also help lower blood pressure levels, which further reduces the risk of cardiovascular issues.
- Reduced visceral fat: Visceral fat is the harder-to-shift fat that resides closer to our organs that is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Body scans show that Semaglutide dramatically reduces visceral fat deposits, helping patients to stay healthy as well as look good.
- Improved overall health: Semaglutide can positively impact overall health by improving cholesterol levels, reducing inflammation, and improving liver function.
If you have struggled with weight loss and are looking for a new approach, Semaglutide may be a good option for you. However, it is not a “miracle shot” and should only be used as part of a healthy lifestyle that includes regular exercise and a balanced diet. You should inform us about any medical conditions, allergies, or medications you’re taking, and be ready to undergo several tests beforehand. This will help determine if Semaglutide is the right treatment option for you based on your unique health history.
Can Semaglutide Help Me With Hormonal Weight Gain from Menopause?
Hormonal changes during menopause can cause a so-called “menopause belly” in some women. This is because a reduction in progesterone levels increases cortisol (the stress hormone) which, in turn, increases glucose levels, causing the body to store the extra energy as fat in the midsection. Semaglutide is effective for hormone-related weight gain because it reduces total fat mass, including visceral fat in the abdomen caused by menopause.
If you believe that Semaglutide may be helpful for your weight loss journey, don’t hesitate to schedule a consultation by calling (707) 537-2111.
During your consultation, we will review your medical history and evaluate your current health to determine if it is a safe and effective option for you. We will take particular note of your past experience with weight loss and your current exercise and activity levels. We may also ask if you:
- Are/are planning on becoming pregnant
- Are currently breastfeeding
- Have gallbladder or pancreatic disease
- Have an existing diabetes diagnosis
- Have a history of kidney disease or injury, thyroid disease, or liver disease
- Have had any other surgeries (e.g. bariatric surgery, hysterectomy)
- Have a personal or family history of MEN syndrome (a rare endocrine disorder)
- Are taking any medications that could interact with/affect the efficacy of Semaglutide
We will discuss the benefits and potential risks of Semaglutide and help you make an informed decision about whether it is the right choice for your weight loss goals.
Before prescribing Semaglutide, we will also discuss the proper dosing and administration of the medication, as well as potential drug interactions and contraindications.
- Basic metabolic panel (BMP) with liver function test (LFT)
- Average blood sugar levels (HbA1C test)
- Thyroid panel with thyroid stimulating hormone test (TSH)
- Lipid panel
In some cases, additional testing may be required. These may include testing of the following:
- Thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPO)
- Free testosterone levels
Getting to a healthy weight with Semaglutide requires establishing habits that support a healthy lifestyle. Before you start your Semaglutide regimen, we may advise you to gain an in-depth understanding of your relationship with food and with fitness. This can be in the form of a food journal, in which you will monitor your food intake, take notes on your caloric intake, and count macros. It may also be useful to create an exercise log to keep track of the calories you burn. We will give you the most effective advice prior to starting your Semaglutide protocol so that you can get to your goal weight with ease!
Semaglutide should be administered once a week for your allotted treatment period. The standard Semaglutide protocol is as follows:
- 0.25 mg for 4 weeks
- 0.5 mg x 4 weeks
- 1 mg x 4 weeks
- 1.7 mg x 4 weeks
- 2.4 mg x 4 weeks (maximum dose)
Though this is the standard, we may change the protocol for some patients, depending on their BMI, side effects, and how they respond to the treatment. We will monitor your progress closely during your treatment with Semaglutide. Regular check-ins and blood tests will help to ensure that the medication is working effectively and that any potential side effects are managed appropriately.
While results can vary depending on each patient’s unique situation, many patients have achieved significant weight loss and improved blood sugar control with Semaglutide. With dedication to a healthy lifestyle and the guidance of our specialists, you can achieve your health goals and live your best life.
What Are the Side Effects of Semaglutide?
Some patients may experience mild side effects such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, but these typically subside within a few days of starting the medication. The number one side-effect of Semagluitde is nausea, which we can manage by adjusting your dosage and/or prescribing anti-nausea medication.
Cost of Semaglutide in Santa Rosa
At Allegro Med Spa, we offer Semaglutide treatments at a reasonable cost. The price will depend on various factors such as the length of protocol required to achieve your desired results.
Our team is committed to providing you with comprehensive care that meets your needs. Contact us today at (707) 537-2111 to schedule your consultation or fill out our online form to get started. Take the first step towards achieving a healthier and happier you with Allegro Med Spa!
What is Semaglutide also known as?
Semaglutide is the generic name for the medication. It is produced by different manufacturers under the brand names Ozempic and Wegovy.
Will I gain weight if I stop getting Semaglutide injections?
Research indicates that the people who lose the most weight while taking Semaglutide will gain the most weight back once they stop taking it. However, results will vary from patient to patient.
Does Semaglutide really work?
Yes, if you want to lose weight! Studies show that Semaglutide is an effective long-term weight management medication. It works by reducing appetite and increasing feelings of fullness, leading to an overall reduction in food intake. It also slows down the emptying of the stomach, which can help to control blood sugar levels and prevent overeating.
How do you take Semaglutide?
Semaglutide is administered once weekly via injection. Your healthcare provider will instruct you on how to properly use the medication and provide guidance on proper injection technique.
Will I still be able to eat sugary and fatty food while I’m on Semaglutide?
Yes, although most patients find overly sugary and fatty foods to be less palatable when they are on the medication.
Will Semaglutide solve my weight issues?
Results from Semaglutide vary from patient to patient. It is important to note that it is not a “magic” weight loss solution and should only be used in combination with a healthy diet and exercise program for the best results. Patients who follow a healthy lifestyle while taking Semaglutide typically see improved blood sugar levels and significant weight loss.
- Ojeniran M, Dube B, Paige A, Ton J, Lindblad AJ. Semaglutide for weight loss. Canadian Family Physician. 2021;67(11):842-842. doi:https://doi.org/10.46747/cfp.6711842
- Ghusn W, De la Rosa A, Sacoto D, et al. Weight Loss Outcomes Associated With Semaglutide Treatment for Patients With Overweight or Obesity. JAMA Network Open. 2022;5(9):e2231982. doi:https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.31982
- Meier JJ. Efficacy of Semaglutide in a Subcutaneous and an Oral Formulation. Frontiers in Endocrinology. 2021;12. doi:https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2021.645617